Minutes 01.27.09

 

Agenda
Tuesday January 27th, 2009
6:30 p.m. Mills Library

I. Call to Order

 

II. Special Business

  • NEW Student Senate Vice President is… Will Green!
  • Report from Scott Schallhorn—Southwestern Energy
    • Southwestern Energy (involved in the exploration of natural gas—location, drilling, and etc.) approached Hendrix College for academic endeavors and conference space for possibly a regional headquarters in Conway—they are interested in a strip of property where the Village and New China sit, over by the future location of the creek. If they acquire the property, the college will oversee the building plans in order to blend with the architecture of the Village and environmental aesthetics in regard of the future sustainable creek.
    • Academic programs that Southwestern Energy wants to work with may include computer science, business, and environmental studies; will also allow students to work as interns and possibly employees later on.
    • Items passed around for all to see: Photocopy of current plans to accomplish concept; Site plan for Southwestern is contemplating constructing on the property
    • This is the first business opportunity Hendrix College has had—one aspect why they approached us is because they want to be a part of this neighborhood (our Village) and walk to their facility (a 4-minute walk from office site to the Village Square). There is a significant amount of parking space. There will be a significant amount of trees and other green in the lots.
    • Chance says this company brings an incongruent image—normally Hendrix would sacrifice the greater good (money). Why bring this to our campus? It must be money. Why this company?
    • It models what new urbanism brings. Work, merchant, commerce—this company will work in an infill spot instead of on the outskirts of Conway—funds from this transaction will be used for the water/sustainable creek project. It will benefit the college, the community, and serve as a model.
    • What does this contribute? It enhances the success of the Village—Mr. Schallhorn is confident that it will work.
    • What would the college use this building for if for some reason this company goes under? This has been taken under consideration and the company has had much financial success—the planning crew is confident in this company. The building is quite costly, but Hendrix isn’t paying for it. However, in case the college decides to reacquire this building for any reason, we would have to take over the financial responsibility, but it would surely be put to use nonetheless.
    • Schallhorn’s hopes students fill the Village up and spend money just as people from this company will be as well.
    • In the fall forum, there was a concern of lack of parking in downtown Conway. Would Southwestern be open to allowing Conway citizens to use their space? à This has not yet been taken into consideration yet… but it will soon!
    • 1300 students plus faculty and staff cannot keep such a project to themselves—it will be open to the public and should appeal to perhaps even others beyond Conway to allow these businesses to survive.
    • Fall of 2010—people should be living here by then. They anticipate that there will be plenty of opportunities for students to rent housing here.
    • Still not sure when the Mabee Center is going to be torn down.
    • Larnie and Lydia have strong feelings against this entire project. Larnie is even ashamed to be a student here as it seems apparent that the decision has already been made that Southwestern is coming and students don’t even
    • Lydia asks if this is the first time that he ever sought the students’ reaction. Yes, this is the first forum that the project has been discussed with students. There was a huge announcement over Christmas (the day after we left for break). Schallhorn decided to push the announcement until after finals—education is the priority here.
    • It will make a difference in the long run and provide many benefits to this campus and community.

 

III. Announcements and Constituent Concerns

  • Responses to the longer or shorter break winter:
    -Hardin—majority for the longer break
    -Couch—majority for shorter break
    -Juniors—16 for longer winter break; 4 for the shorter
    -Galloway—9 or 10 who want the longer break
    -Apartments—more for the shorter break
    -Martin—longer winter break (job reasons)
    -Senior—longer breaks, period.
    -Sophomore—shorter break.
    à Cool. BJ will bring these to the next AP meeting.
  • Meal plan—15 meal plan, but they may only eat 8-10 meals (cook a lot, eat in room, skip breakfast)—can the 5 and 10 meal plan be opened to dormitory residents? That money goes toward freshman class and sustaining the café
  • Why do we have to pay for copies in the library if we can print for free in the computer lab? [AP issue!]
  • Rumor that senior class graduation is going to be moved to the WAC—any truths?
    -Another rumor—Dr. Binnie was telling his class that this was in fact happening. Rumor has been confirmed. Dean and Karla had a meeting—size of the classes coming after this graduating class will not fit where the commencements have been taking place normally. It costs $25,000 extra to set up the WAC in case it rains. Thomas’s concern (and many other seniors)—are they hiding this from us? The issue is out of Dean and Karla’s hands—decision was made by the provost and several other people. Anyone else who is concerned about this issue can meet with Thomas, the provost, and the others tomorrow. Holler at Thomas for more info.
    -Historically there has been a variety of locations for commencement (not only outside). This is a size issue. Guests and visitors take up a lot of space. There is no hidden agenda—they have no reason to hide this. Let’s not have a cynical approach. Yes, there should have been more inclusion of students in the decision. Not sure why we weren’t included… Is there any chance that this decision will change? If it is no longer possible to have it outside of Ellis, there are many other outdoor options.
    -Hey, we have to do back up locations for events all the time. This is something we should talk about.
  • Downstairs bathroom in Martin—door without a lock! Corey’s been walked in on multiple times.
  • Café stopped serving baked chicken. Why? We hear it is because they had to make financial readjustments… however, many students have complained about not having baked chicken anymore. Can we get it back?
  • Physical Plant may arrive at random with no notice to service your concern—is there a way students can be notified when they are coming to work?
  • Heater in bathroom right by front door of Couch does not work and it is SUPER cold. Can this be fixed?
  • Burrow delivery system—pay additional 50 cents or so, pay more kids to work, etc. Lydia can talk to Mike Flory about that!
  • Phone calls to burrow? You can!
  • Request for more formal shuttles.
  • Suggestion Box--
    -“Can we get some healthy snacks in the Burrow? Like cheap Nutri-Grain bars please! Thanks.”
    -“Default printer settings in computer lab set to double sided to save paper”
    -“Res Life needs to change! Apartment people need more time to move in and out. People with internships in Conway should be able to live on campus.”
    -“More sticks for the pool table? And chalk.”
    -“Regular coke in the burrow (fountain drinks)”
    -“Have the same UCA policy where if the smoke alarms go off because of a little smoke then the person can get to an RA in a certain amount of time then a call can be made so the fire dept. doesn’t have to come”
    -“Burrow should be open 24 hours (at least during the week)”
    -“Could the café possibly keep the hot line open for at least 15 additional minutes please?”
    -“Plastic recycling bin in the burrow”
    -“More chocolate cereals in the café!”
    -“A ketchup dispenser in burrow instead of packets”
  • Vending machine in the library—this issue has already been addressed—see minutes from the past… basically, it is super expensive (like several thousand?) to get a vending machine. Someone suggested having snacks in the library like they have in the Murphy House (basket full of snacks and people pay 50 cents)

 

IV. Departmental Liaison Reports

  • WAC advisory meeting on Thursday. Have kids e-mail Mac if you have any complaints.
    -Better advertising for sporting events please!
  • Traffic Appeals committee needs to be formed. Constituents need to go to Rick Sublett first if they want to appeal their ticket.
    -Is it true that you will not get a ticket on Saturday and Sundays if you park in a service spot?

 

V. Committee Reports

  • Media Committee with Fraser Holmes
    • DJ sign-ups completed yesterday, however if you still want to be one please e-mail Alexander Jones (give him name, your co-dj if you have one, what time/spots you want, ID #, etc.)
    • Met with Melanie Morse (yearbook editor)
    • Aonian is good.
    • Profile comes out next Friday, the 6th!
  • Multicultural Development Committee with Ronni Laizure
    • February 4-6: Southern Culture Festival! The week will include:
      -Student Art Show!
      -Open Mic Night (southern themed poetry, anything!)
      -Contact Ronni if you can help, have suggestions, questions, etc!
  • Social Committee with Jake Eddington
    • Live Band Karaoke was a success!
    • Thursday, January 29: Trivia Night—America Theme! 9:00 p.m. Burrow.
    • Saturday, January 31: FORMAL! 9:00 p.m.-1:00 a.m. at the Robinson Center.
      -The additional shuttle sign-ups will be up tomorrow (now, THREE shuttles will be leaving from Hendrix, and a final shuttle from the center back to school at 12:45 a.m.).
      -Tuxedo tees on sale in the sunporch next week! Directions are on the SoCo website and also on the facebook group.
  • Volunteer Action Committee with Larnie Campbell
    • Sunday at 7:30 a.m. Molly McMguire is taking a group to the Quapaw soup kitchen in LR. Contact Molly for more info.
    • Roots-n-shoots: organization centered around kids ages 6-11 and environmental concerns. Mondays at 4:00 p.m.—e-mail Larnie (campbellle@hendrix.edu) for more info!
    • Meetings 7:30 p.m. on Sundays! All are welcome.
  • Residence Life Committee With Mac Barnes
  • Campus Kitty with Alex Graddy-Reed
    • Campus Kitty Week: April 3-11!!
    • Miss Hendrix sign-ups! If you want to be a dancer, e-mail Valerie Sanchirico
    • Want to be a contestant? E-mail Jordan Abernathy.
  • Environmental Concerns Committee with Wendell Cathcart and Katherine Roehm
    • Meeting on Thursday! If you have any brand new environmental themed documentaries, holler.
    • Several different options will be brought to campus—looking into getting a representative to talk about alternatives to Styrofoam take-out containers, etc.
    • Tell constituents you cannot recycle the burrow cornstarch cups because it is actually counterproductive. [Look out for Larnie’s profile article that gives these facts and other effects.]
  • Academic Policy with Samantha Bode
    • Meeting Thursday! E-mail Sam or BJ with your concerns.
  • Finance Committee with Alex Graddy-Reed
    • Hendrix SLAM: $435.00 to go to regional. PASSED!
    • SOCO: $995.00 for additional shuttle (contains 55 seats). PASSED!
    • Audits happening right now. Balancing Rhetoric’s budget.
  • Student and Academic Concerns Committee with Samantha Bode and Jayce Hafner
    • Student Internship apps due Feb. 4 to Jayce!
      -Office of Advancement and Planning
      -Office of the President
  • Communications Committee with Kristi Vo
    • Amend Section V, Part C of the Bylaws deadline to send out notes (currently set at noon on Saturday). Suggestions:
      -Wednesday at 5 p.m.
      -Thursday at noon or midnight
      -Friday at noon or midnight
      -ComCom will talk more about this and have a time for next week.
    • Congratulations to Chance McDermott who correctly Guessed that Senator—“I can’t live without McDonald’s. I love the Chicago Cubs and board games, and one of my favorite quotes is ‘There is no stock ticker in the Dept. of Justice’ –Philander Knox, US Att. General” à Jacob Kauffman! Chance will receive $5 burrow bucks and a huge senate cup.
    • Suggestion Box fills up. See suggestions above!
    • MEETING IN BURROW NEXT TIME! 6:30 p.m.

 

  • Committee on Committees with Will Green
    • E-mail Will if you are on this committee.
  • Executive Committee with BJ Fogleman
    • Transition meeting in March! Get all of your stuff together in your binder to hand to the new senator in your place.

 

VI. Unfinished Business

 

VII. New Business

  • Karla—in light of good communication—there needs to be better communication here on campus. No, we are not perfect. What should not be slipped through the cracks though—possible adding a May term or summer school. Ways to keep people connected on campus. Beginning phases of this conversation. Innovative special topics kinds of classes. If you have thoughts, ideas, anything! We are very excited about this possibility. There is no commitment yet. This may run into governor’s school, but this and other concerns will all be taken into consideration. Governor’s school is actually being shortened from 6 to 4 weeks, which opens up opportunities for Hendrix endeavors.
  • What would you hope to see/initial expectations for this May term or summer school term:
    • Independent learning, not necessarily curriculum based; something very unstructured
    • Intensive language courses (possibly even abroad)
    • Neat/quirky/different courses like the English of Elvis, social effects of the history of basketball, etc
    • Apartment style living for just a May term may not work (especially for students without cars). Staying in the dorms would be more relevant.
    • Certain lunch and meal times where students eat at the same time
    • Student teaching?
    • Cooking classes… for the co-op!
    • If you have any more suggestions, thoughts, or ideas, please direct them to Karla.
  • Why? For one: In these tough economic times—we can continue to look at ways to service students. You will continue to hear these kinds of conversations—revenue generating and sustainability ones too
  • As the unofficial elections committee—possible online voting! Be thinking about it since this may be more cost efficient.

 

VIII. Adjournment until February 3rd, 2009

 

Clean up: Veasey, Galloway, Raney.

------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Discretionary Requests for January 27, 2009

 

  1. SLAM, requesting $435 for Regionals, Recommendation: fund in full

Hendrix SLAM is requesting $435 to attend regional poetry slam on February 27th and 28th in Corpus Christi, TX.

Event Details:

The Hendrix Slam Team will travel to Corpus Christi, Texas to compete

 

 

against a number of other region-12 teams. Potential winnings

 

 

 

include scholarships and paid entry to nationals.

 

 

Item

 

 

Notes

 

 

 

Cost

Cum

PSI certification

 

Required to participate in regionals or nats

 

85

85

Regionals Registration Fee

 

 

 

 

125

210

Regionals Hotel

 

3 nights @ $75

 

 

225

435

Gas

 

 

Estimated 4 tanks at 25

 

100

535

Expected personal contribution

5 people x $20

 

 

-100

435

 

 

  1. SoCo, requesting $995 for Shuttle, Recommendation: fund in full

SoCo is requesting $995 for an additional shuttle for winter formal, January 31, 2009. The event is targeting 400 students. They received $8500 for the event from spring allocation.

“We were given 4000 for shuttles in spring, this would allow for a total of four shuttles to and from winter formal. Each shuttle holds 55 passengers. With the increase of students we are requesting enough money to cover the cost of one more shuttle to and from Formal, not only to provide transportation for students, but to reduce the risk of drunk driving. We know that the shuttle will get filled because there is a very long waiting list for them.

Amount allocated for shuttles: 4000

Total amount spent on shuttles: 3900

Cost for 1 additional shuttle: 995

The leftover 100 went toward other Formal expenses (room expense) which is why we need the full 995.